You are here
Home > Topic > Bent But Not Broken

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tricia Duckworth 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Tricia Duckworth
    Keymaster

I started my job 20 months ago with no indication that it was going to be the job from hell. Maybe the experience was setting me up for my future, maybe I was there to be a blessing to someone else but the one thing I know, God did not intend for me to be a doormat. See, I worked for a non-profit Christian Ministry as a Program Manager in which I worked as a Social Worker. My director was intimidated by me from day one. He hired me to be the manager and run the program but wouldn’t allow me to do my job. I could never speak about the decisions of running the program because he would tear down every suggestion I had. He talked over me, he wouldn’t listen to me as I couldn’t get a word in. I spent many, many days not saying anything at all. He threaten my job many times (according to him, I made poor decisions when it came to our clients). I started keeping notes on how I was being treated, it wasn’t good at all. One particular time he raised his voice at me and as I was trying to speak he accused me of yelling at him. He asked me to get out of his office, as I was leaving the office, he stormed behind me yelling and told me to leave the building. During one of my evaluations he told me not to use “big” words when I was providing information about my future opportunities for more training. He even told me that I wasn’t cut out for this job, maybe I should try something else. See, I’m not sure what his intentions were completely, but what I do know, he was not going to break me. He was not going to dictate to me what I’m suppose to be doing or what I’m not built for. For I know the plans God has for me.

Share an experience you had with an employer that was not pleasant and how God gave you peace about it.

Let’s Chat About It.

Ann Williams
    Participant

Tricia,

My heart, thoughts and prayers are with you now, and always!! Remember the word of God in Galatians 6:

“Be not deceived. God is not mocked, for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap. For he who sows in his own flesh will reap corruption.

Let us not be weary in doing good, for we will reap in due season, if we don’t give up. Galatians 6:7-8A, 9

Much love,

Aunt Ann

Keshia Wright
    Participant

I experienced this last year. I was a faithful worker doing contract work. This was a position I worked 7 nights a week. I was let go over a misunderstanding between myself and the guy I thought we were cool. He always helped me out when needed, we talked all the time to help pass time so we wouldnt fall asleep. I thought this was my buddy. At some point it turned. I was let go due to things that were said about my work performance which i knew was a lie and it could be proven from my work logs. Needless to say i was devastated and could not understand why he would have me to lose the only source of income I had to provide for myself and my children. I wanted to fight back but I opted to except this as being God’s will and I let it go. I later found out that the person that was responsible for having me terminated was let go himself. I am not sure why but i thought wow. Could it be that was done to him what he had done to me? No matter what it was i still prayed for him. I prayed that God would save him and let him get to know him as i did. Since then life has been a series of events one after another teaching me priceless lessons. I believe now that all things really do work together for our good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. I thank God for His word it is the only thing that keeps me.

Lorie Williams
    Participant

I had a boss a few years back that made my job miserable. From the moment that I met her, my gut told me that she would be difficult.
    She was moody,unpredictable, micromanaging, negative and hard to please, and soured everything. I kept my concerns to myself, afraid to say anything to anyone about how difficult her management style was affecting me. I kept my frustration to myself and I just dealt with it. I began to feel stressed all of the time. I thought maybe it was just a personality conflict with me and her but gradually others began to notice her militant managing style. I was relieved that it wasn’t just me who noticed her difficult ways. I considered quitting and changing jobs, but I really liked my job and didn’t want to leave. I hung in there going to work with dread all of the time. Then out of the blue she resigned from her position. I believe the Lord removed her from her position. This was a difficult time in my life but I was greatful that I stuck it out, but difficult bosses are very challenging. I recall asking God to show me what he wanted me to learn through this extremely difficult season in my life. How could I glorify him through my perseverance? How could I forgive and pray for this person that caused me so much conflict? How could my character become more Christ like? I did not enjoy this difficult time, I wish that I would have not been so meek with holding this all in, And I wish I had not been so intimidated by her authority over me. I learned a lot, but mostly to trust and rely on God. He does have a plan for our lives and He is always in control! To God Be The Glory! Thanks for letting me share!

Takiba Thompson
    Participant

I am right here with you Sister. I remember being bent in a sense where God was making things uncomfortable for me. I went from inviting my Boss and his family our home, to not saying two words to him because of his behavior. However, I never kept my eye off God. I always remember his promise that He wouldn’t bring me this far to leave me. The amazing thing is that His word and His promises never change. Anyone going through issues be comforted by His promises which shall give you that everlasting peace. His word says “I will be your God throughout your lifetime, I made you and I will care for you.” Isaiah 46:4 NLT. I stand on this promise and know that he will take care of me.

Valerie Brown
    Participant

I had a situation where I thought coworkers were my friends but end up telling my boss I was not doing well without discussing my weaknes,even though I was new to the position. I end up
    Leaving the position and God gave me a better job. From that experience ,I train people more effectively and I
    Let them know in private there weaknesses. I had to go through the valley to appreciate the horizon. I choose friends that appreciate me rather than tolerate me.
    God made the crooked things straight!

Tricia Duckworth
    Keymaster

Amen Valerie.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.